Friday, April 9, 2010

The March Cake, Part V: The Sting

SURPRISE, BITCHES! I bet you thought this was going to be a Marchie-only week! Wrong wrong wrong, here comes Hattie with a twist ending (everyone's favorite kind, right?). So as you've seen, Marchie's pretty much a bakery/cakery wizard, and my contribution to the whole cakesy process mainly consisted of photography and eating bits that fall off (with the exception of some potentially-questionable artistic advice). While I consider myself to be in most matters smarter than the average bear, I am pretty much hopeless when it comes to all things domestic. I mean, I can bake a mean chocolate chip cookie (Nestlé Toulouse, anyone?), and I'm a master when it comes to the food-consumption angle, but that's about my limit. Cut to last weekend. Harester was doing her best to cheer me up after a tough day, and let me tell you a story about that. It worked. BIG TIME.
Step one: cook duck legs. Cook potatoes in duck grease.
Step two: serve above to sad Hattie, who quickly becomes much less sad and very full about the tummy area.
Step three: inform Hattie that there are numerous leftovers from Br'er Rabbit's b-day.
Step four: tell Hattie she can make a cake with said leftovers. ANY WAY SHE WANTS. Mildly sad Hattie is now happy.
Yes indeed, baby Hatter was allowed to play house using cake and fondant and buttercream and yummy-ness, and you will be witness to the incredible results! Regard these photos:


My ingredients and implements!


Layers! (white icing and strawberry filling in between)


Buttercreaming the exterior while fashionably be-jeweled.


Buttercreamed!


A flower I (yes, I aka me aka Hattie) made out of fondant, after multiple coaching sessions by Harester.


My two fondant layers added! Can you tell what it's going to be? OH THE SUSPENSE...


Piping frosting. That's right, my cake was a piece of cake! Clever, right? 


Obviously I wrote "Hatter Rox" on the outside in fondant letters, and then bedazzled them with frosting. What other choice did I have?


Beautiful detailing, no? 













And that's the story of Hattie and her cake. Much much much help was given from Resident Cake Expert M. Hare, of coursity course. I'm working my way to baking greatness, one cake slice at a time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment